Saturday, September 25, 2010

Whew….

First let me say that this is a PICTURE HEAVY post.  I have been absent for quite some time now, and a LOT has happened.  We have been enduring a rather large personal “storm”…one that has shaken us down.  I don’t talk about my faith much on this blog, not because I am ashamed of it, quite the opposite, I prefer that my life be the example.  I prefer not to be “preached” to by my peers, I go to church to hear that from our pastor…so in turn, I try to keep my “preachy-ness” to a minimum.  However, I also feel that it is my obligation to give credit where credit is due…and our family would likely not have made it through this time in our lives with out a very real and personal relationship with God.
Our family has been under attack.  I believe with all my heart that Satan has been on a war path to destroy us, but he has not been successful…and we are stronger than ever because of the strength that God has given us.  We are imperfect and don’t always make the right decisions, but we are seeking to do the right things, to live our lives with dignity and respect, with integrity and honor…and it is my sincere hope that all who know us (either in our “real” lives or through our blogs and businesses) would see that lived out.  Enough about that.
So…during the “height” of our personal crisis…I ended up in the hospital with a bout of “female” pain.

IMG_6944 
While I was in the hospital, I sent Shayne home to be with the kids because our week of personal drama had affected them.  About an hour later, I heard Shayne and Nalley walking down the hall…so I thought to visit me.  Instead, Nalley was my brave neighbor in the room across the hall…she fell and split her chin wide open and needed to have it closed up.  They gave us the option of stitches or glue, knowing that if the glue didn't work, they would HAVE to give her stitches.  We opted for glue and thankfully it worked.  She was SOOO brave, and such a trooper.  That was 3 weeks ago today, and it is healing nicely.  She will have a scar there, but not bad.
IMG_6958
Nalley started preschool on the 16th…so we made cupcakes to take to “Meet the Teacher” night.  I also made cupcake boxes and decorated them in an apple/school theme.  They were cute and Nalley had fun baking and decorating with me.
 IMG_6969
 IMG_6975
 IMG_6980
Bun Bun (Nalley’s lovie) has been more comfort to Nalley recently than ever.  There have been lots of changes (mostly all of them positive), but new things require some extra love and attention.  If you notice, she is in the pack-n-play, or as we call it “baby jail”…our place for Lawson when we have to get something done.  She loves being in there with him and they surprisingly will play together in it for an hour or so at a time…go figure!
 IMG_6993
Now really…have you EVER seen a cuter face???  He is so busy, and so rotten, and INTO EVERYTHING lately, but when he flashes that toothy grin, all of that doesn’t matter…in fact…nothing else in the world matters other than attempting to get a baby kiss…  If you are successful, it is usually promptly followed by a slap in the face…don’t ask me where he got that from, we’re thinking it’s just being a 14 month old little BOY!
 IMG_7009
Nalley on her FIRST DAY OF PRESCHOOL…*hack…choke…tear*…I cannot believe it, it makes my stomach hurt.  But no, I haven’t missed her yet, I’m just happy to have a break from all of the incessant “WHY” questions…I am having a really hard time answering some of them…and hearing them all the time too.  Besides, she’s having so much FUN, hardly looks back to see me or wave.
 IMG_7038
 IMG_7049
Baby Lawson had to get in on the first day pics…athough he was off and at it soon after.
 IMG_7053
His first few steps, since then, he’s become an official walker…such a big boy!
 IMG_7056
Mommy and Daddy each got their pics in with Nalley at her school on the first day.
 IMG_7064
 IMG_7068
Standing in line against the wall waiting for her teachers.
 IMG_7069
And now, for some crafty fun!  An apron I made for our next door neighbor who is the sweetest person.  She just found out that her brain tumor has returned…for the 4th time.  She is only 30, and quite devastated…we love her so much and I wanted to do something to let her know we were thinking of her.  She loves to bake and I thought a cute apron would be just the ticket to cheer her up.

 IMG_7081
 IMG_7087
Some trick-or-treating bags I made for the little kids with some ADORABLE Riley Blake “Boo to You” fabric.  Mindy Terasawa is one of my FAV digital designers and I was so happy that they made this fabric out of her kit.  Yes, I do have the kit and I am (and already have) used it for some other halloween treat stuff…I will post that stuff soon…
 IMG_7088
I hand embroidered their names (only my second attempt at that).  I found a really cute font that looked kid-ish and modified it a bit.
 IMG_7096
 IMG_7097
Over all I was quite pleased and can’t wait for them to use them.
 IMG_7100
I used the same Keyka Lou pattern to make the Halloween bags, as I had used to make this bag a couple of months ago.  If you haven’t used any of her patterns, they are GREAT!  I have bought several of them, and love them.  With the one below, I modified the handles and made them a little longer.  I used a dish cloth from a pack I bought at Costco a while back to make some market bags…I still haven’t made anymore with all that has been going on, but I am planning on it.  These bags are roomy and sturdy and soo cute!  Someone stopped me in the grocery store recently to ask about it, I was so pleased!
 IMG_7112
I have been on a quilting streak lately.  3 baby quilts complete (only 2 pictured here) and another lap quilt for one of my best friend’s 35th birthday…happy birthday on Monday Jocelyne (I’ll show the others soon)!
 IMG_7119
Love this Riley Blake Wheels line…made another top for a drag around for Lawson, but others have taken priority, so it’s still just a top.  Don’t you love the label…matches so perfectly (used some Shabby Princess stuff…Smarshmallows and Things That Go).  I used my favorite iron on transfer from Dharma Trading on some white Kona cotton to make the label.
 IMG_7122
Another one for Brooke…Terine’s (another of my dear friends) daughter just turned ONE and had to have a cute quilt.  Terine is Jocelyne’s sister-in-law, and they have adopted my Southern self.  Great friends make the best “family”, especially when yours is so far away!
 IMG_7141
 IMG_7148
IMG_7150
There is lots more to catch up on…I still haven’t posted Lawson’s birthday party pictures…from TWO months ago.  I am terrible…but busy.  If you’ve made it to the end of this post after all that rambling…and actually want to come back…I’ll post some of the other pics this week…I hope!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I had been wondering where you went...I should have just emailed you! And yes, I am so glad that the Lord is in control of things...praying things get resolved and you come out on the other side stronger as a family!

CarolaD said...

Glad you are back. Sorry to hear about your recent struggles, but glad to hear you are all on the mend. Love your first day of school photos! I'm sure Nally's teachers will love you for their thoughtful gifts. ( I always appreciated & was amazed by all the little thoughtful touches that busy families found time to do for me during my 29 years teaching elementary school.)
Your quilts, apron and bags are beautiful and I know that all the recipients will love them!

CitricSugar said...

WOW! You have been through a bunch! Glad to hear that things are getting somewhat back to normal.

Big hugs!

Ella said...

I love you're quilt designs!
they are amazing!
Do you mind if i used some of you're ideas.